So, our last day together before school starts and it's proving to be quite interesting. I actually have several new topics to blog about, but this topped them all as my favorite quotes of the day. I am out playing on the swingset, sitting in the "boat" while my oldest son takes me for a ride. I have a million other things to do, not the least of which is a pile of paperwork due in less than 24 hours for my daughter's school. My oldest two want nothing more than mom time at the swingset and the guilt is overwhelming. So, I decide that I will oblige. I will just kill two birds with one stone, as they say (I never say it in front of the kids because they may actually try it, but you know what I mean). Anyway, I told my son that I would bring my paperwork out and I could do it on the "boat". I need to get out of the "boat" quickly to go inside to get it.
So, I decide to take what I deem to be the quickest route -- the slide. It has been awhile since I took the slide, but clearly my memory doesn't serve me well. I think a similar conversation took place the last time I rode it. It's one of those wavy slides which is narrower in some places than in others as you go down. You can guess where this is going, right?
Well, I am proud to say I did not actually get stuck on the slide, but the expression on my face must have provided a clue to my discomfort, because this is how the conversation went from there:
Eldest son: "Wow, Mom, looks like if you ride the slide a couple more times, you won't have to go to aerobics anymore!"
Me: "What did you just say?"
Eldest son: Fearing he may be in trouble..."I just meant that you won't have to go to aerobics, because it looks like that slide is going to shave your hips right off if you keep riding it!"
I was left speechless. What can I possibly say to that? Some moms may be mad, but the beauty of my son is that he says these things with such innocence you almost believe he doesn't understand the severity of what he just said. Besides, at least I know he's been listening. If he hears nothing else in any given day, he has heard me say I need to do something about these hips....by the way, my diet starts again tomorrow. I have a lot of lofty goals that accompany the start of the new school year....