4.13.2008

Priorities!

So, I FINALLY joined a gym. It has a pool where I can take the kids swimming, which is a new found love for them. Our first visit to the pool was the other day. I am leaving the gym with my three kids (all non-swimmers I might add). Seeing me in the pool with them is not for the faint of heart, nor is it pretty, but other than the occasional feeling that they may drown, my kids seem to love it - so I persevere. Anyway, Zach is now at the age where he can't go in the women's' locker room. This has presented a whole new set of logistics for me. I've got to make sure he has everything he needs, knows how to meet us "on the other side" of the locker room by the pool, and on the flip-side can manage to dry himself appropriately and get himself back together.....and remember to bring everything back out with him. The first day he experienced this new independence, my son got a little panicky about the fact that I wasn't returning to get him quickly. Apparently, he thinks I can get three people dried and dressed in the time it takes him (I'm good, but I'm not that good). Realizing that we never discussed this and he would probably be worried, I walked out apprehensively to see where he might be by this point. I walk out in my own silent panic to see him happily chatting (actually flirting) with three young "coeds". He has very good taste. These college girls were beautiful - clearly they have been members of the gym for awhile - damn them! When I asked my son how he knew those strangers were o.k. to talk to he said, "well, mom, they looked really nice." I just about died. He really meant they looked kind, but it was so perfectly worded to fit the situation I had to laugh to myself.


On the second visit to the pool, I suggested my son bring a book, so that while he is waiting for me he has something to do. He performed perfectly and waited right where I told him to. When I went to get him he was completely engrossed in his book.......but his underwear was laying on the floor next to him. When asked why he had decided not to put on his underwear, "well, mom, I've decided reading is way more fun than wearing underwear."


I couldn't agree more.....LOL.