5.09.2010

It's the Little Things

8:00 a.m.

O.K. I started to go to Facebook to rant about my Mother's Day so far, but then I realized I shouldn't bitch for all the world to see. I may sound like an ungrateful, grumpy mom. That is not who I am. Really. I hope the friends who read this blog, agree with me on that one point. But sometimes things that seem like they should be so idyllic in my mind, never quite turn out like that. This morning is one of those times. On Mother's Day, what do you envision? I think of three kids waiting until the designated time (a.k.a. after mom has had her full night's beauty rest) to come to my bed and crawl in and snuggle happily. Then, perhaps they let me sleep longer. When they are all showered and dressed and looking ready, they come to announce they are taking me out to breakfast (perhaps they bring me a coffee just to tide me over). We go to breakfast and everyone happily chats and gets along the entire time we are there and all the other diners comment on the wonderful kids I have raised. The rest of the day is spent playing in the warm sunshine with the kids.

To demonstrate the contrast between a mother's fantasy world, and my reality, this is what my day has brought so far: 7 a.m. kids coming in to JUMP on my bed (and me) to wish me a happy Mother's Day followed by Dan yelling at them that this is NOT what mom wants for Mother's Day. She wants to sleep...kids leave, defeated. I feel bad, but snuggle back in.....then Alex appears at my bedside and I'm petting her, tail wagging. Then I realize she has a leaf stuck to her foot. Hmmm? How could a leaf be stuck to her foot you might ask? Well, upon further thought, I realized this could only mean one thing so I hop out of bed, lift said foot up and drag the dog down the stairs while she tries to maneuver on three legs. Upon further examination, my earliest guess is right. SHIT embedded in her pads - and tracked in little shit spots all the way up our stairs and into my bedroom. As I head to the sliding door to put her outside until I can muster the patience to deal with this issue, I see the white flakes falling from the sky. Seriously? All I can think at this moment, feeling the bitter cold whip against my face, is it could be worse. I could be standing on the baseball field right now trying hard to look like a happy baseball mom. Aside from that, at that moment, I am thinking not much could be worse and this day is not starting out quite like I imagined.

9:00 p.m.
After my early morning wake up calls, things progressed pretty nicely. We had a leisurely morning and made it to our favorite greasy spoon in time for a hearty brunch with very well-mannered children. We played a long Monopoly game. I had some "alone" time shopping. It was fine. There were some hiccups along the way (kids, even in the best of circumstances, can not be perfect for an entire day), but generally o.k. Now that our day is winding down and I have a moment to reflect, I have to share what I am reminded of most on this day. It is something we as moms should know. We have learned it many times over since becoming moms. That is the fact that even the best laid plans, hopes, dreams, do not always end up as you expected - but often the unexpected is even better!

I am reminded today of the little things that make my days shine as a mother.....the handwritten "card" from Drew written with those first precious symbols which closely resemble letters, put together to form "I Love You" (with a little help from Dad, I presume). Or the well thought out scavenger hunt by Sophie, which leads me up and down the stairs multiple times to receive a poster at the end listing all the reasons I am the best mom. My day was better still when Zach presented me with his homemade card, clearly demonstrating how far he has come since the days he was managing his first letters. Another highlight - Sophie pointing to her Guardian Angel pin and letting me know that my mom was with us in spirit today. See? My day was full of the "little" things, which really aren't so little when you stop to think about them. Another strangely great moment was walking into my field hockey game and being greeted with hugs from my 20-something teammates wishing me a Happy Mother's Day, like I had reached celebrity status. Then, as if the first field hockey game tie in three seasons wouldn't be enough to put a spring in my step, having Dan and the kids there to cheer me on and to tell me "a tie is really the best, because then no one is disappointed"...all the little things that went a long way in making my day a great one.

To end my day, Drew came to me at bedtime to tell me that he had picked out tonight's book. "It's your favorite" he said, with his adorable dimples punctuating a proud toothy grin. "Ahhh, I know what it is" I said. Sure enough, when I crawled into bed with him, he pulled out "The Kissing Hand". Usually when I read this to him, I open his hand and give him a kiss he can carry with him. It has become our little ritual. Tonight, when we got to that part in the story, he grabbed my hand quickly before I could take his. He spread my fingers out widely and gave me the most perfect kiss in the palm of my hand. Then he put my hand to my cheek and whispered so gently, "can you feel it, Mom? It's my love rushing to your heart and warming your WHOLE self".

"I certainly feel it, Drew."