6.17.2011

Another Great One...

On the way to school today, the last day of school, the kids were very excited. They were noticing that some kids were walking to school just as if it were any other day. They couldn't understand why these kids did not have an extra spring in their step. I pointed out that for some kids school is not just about learning, but some kids love the sense of routine, security, seeing their friends, etc. I also suggested that some may not have specific plans made so perhaps they don't know yet what fun is in store yet. You could see my kids' rolodexing through the plans we have discussed for the summer. Not to say there is anything on our list remarkable or unique, but they know we will not be idle and we will have many changes in routine and scenery. As they pondered the idea that life was different for everyone, including what summer means, Zach finally piped up from the back seat.

"Mom, if I forget to thank you later, thank you for deciding not to go back to work for another summer. I am really psyched we get to hang with you and we have lots of fun to look forward to. By the way, when you do get a job, would you consider being a snowplow driver? That would be perfect. You would make the best snow mountains in the cul de sac in the winter and your summers would be completely free!"

Like Zach, I am also glad I am here for another summer. I know the days they will still look forward to hanging with their parents with such enthusiasm are fleeting. For now, I will feel blessed to be able to be here and blessed to have a spouse who shares my same priority list when it comes to family and parenting. I will also probably need to look back at this post when I am ready to pull my hair out in frustration two weeks into summer. Peaks and valleys, ups and downs...this parenting thing is a crazy ride, but it is all worth it when you hear such meaningful -- and entertaining -- commentary from your kids.