9.24.2007

Cherishing Lake Champlain

So tonight was probably our last night out on the boat for this season. I am so glad we went. It was a spectacularly beautiful fall (but more like summer) day and we just decided we had to get out there. Of course, as luck would have it, I forgot the camera.

I was mad at first, but quickly realized there is no way you can capture a feeling. There is just something about the last cruise on a picture perfect night with the whole family. I don't know why, but it brings me such peace. Tonight as we headed through the bay, I was holding my baby (yes, I know he's 2 1/2, but he was snuggling like a baby), my daughter was sitting in the seat next to her dad holding his hand across the aisle, and my son was sitting in the bow of the boat proudly enjoying the waves. As if that weren't a good enough picture to place in my memory bank for the long winter ahead, the setting all around us was unbelievable. As I looked over my shoulder I could see the orange, radiant sun setting over the Adirondacks. Ahead of us was the crisp-white light of an almost full moon over the Green Mountains. In between was just us, an almost still lake and just a handful of sailboats. It certainly made me grateful for this place we call home. It was also a reminder of the reason my parents cherished their time on the lake so much. Every year, when we end the summer like this, I feel them with me on that boat ride. I know they are with us, watching....smiling. And I smile to think that same picture perfect lake is the place they spent their last fun-filled summers together. It is a special place to so many. That is for sure.