7.03.2008

Hold Them Close...

For seven days now, I have been completely consumed with the disappearance of Brooke Bennett, a 12 year old girl. I think the news has gripped many, not just in the small communities that surround her but across the nation. The whole time, I hoped and prayed for her safe return. Last night, however, while we were out enjoying a beautiful sunset on the boat with family and friends, Dan came to the beach to inform me that he just heard on the radio she had been found. He did not know more, but my instinct told me that she was not alive. I went to the boat myself to try to hear more and to take a moment. I am just so saddened by this loss, and the juxtaposition of my situation last night and her parents' was not lost on me. While they were holding a candlelight vigil for their daughter, there I sat relaxing with friends and watching my children happily, safely playing with their friends on the beach...so innocent and so secure with us by their sides watching their every move. I couldn't help, in that moment, to just grab Drew and ask for the biggest squeeze he could give me. When he asked why I was sad, I told him "a girl's parents can't find her". He immediately hugged me tighter and responded, "don't worry mom, I'll never leave you." It was just what I needed. "God, I hope that's true." I thought to myself.

But, really, in this crazy world, how can we do enough to protect our children? This girl, it appears, was kidnapped by her uncle and is now dead. There is information coming out about activity on social networking web sites, and a weird group that asks girls to engage in sexual acts with older men. It is frightening.

I do not know who still reads my blog, as I post very infrequently, but if you are reading this, please think of Brooke today -- and her family.

"Everybody, keep your children close. And just love them." Janet Bennett, stepmother of Brooke Bennett