7.30.2008

Oh, What a Night!


O.K. I was reminded yesterday that I have not posted since July 3. It was the second person I have spoken to recently who actually knew the date of my last post, which was both entertaining and motivating. So, today I am here to tell you of my great anniversary date night. It's amazing to me how the simplest things sometimes turn out being the best. I had this romantic boat ride with dinner on the lake all mapped out in my head. However, Mother Nature didn't really cooperate. The lake was choppy, skies overcast. It was a fine night, but not a night I HAD to be on the lake. Dan and I drove by our boat, cooler packed and ready to go, and aborted plan. Instead, we decided to head to the waterfront for a walk and a drink at a great lakeside bar. I haven't been there in a long time.....needless to say, I had forgotten how much I like it. As soon as we arrived, I decided that we weren't going to stay for just a drink...it would be several - and dinner after that. We just hunkered down for some great chat, drinks and dinner overlooking an unbelievably beautiful sunset sky, surrounded by lots of expensive boats (if you can't own one, you might as well make yourself look like you do - minus the fake boobs, of course). It was exactly what I was looking for and I didn't even know it.

After dinner, we meandered down the path by the water. As we were walking an old mountain biking buddy of Dan's rode by on his unicycle. He came back to talk to us and to tell us about his great adventures in unicycling. It was amazing. He is quite a character...the kind that makes you stop to think "where do people like this come from?" Anyway, while we were deep in conversation, I realize there are people all around taking pictures of us. "Marc, are these people all taking pictures of us?" I ask naively. To which he responses very nonchalantly, "oh, ya, this happens everywhere I go. I love it." Jeez. I thought I was a hit when I used to bring my black lab puppy to the waterfront - little did I know it was a unicycle I should've been bringing all that time.

Anyway, our night wouldn't be complete with a stroll in town. The highlight of my night - we are walking by Borders Bookstore when I remembered I wanted to get my hubby the "Just Do It" book for our anniversary (the one about "doing it" for 101 days straight). So, in we walk on the prowl for the book. The store is closing so we are on a mission. While I am quietly in the back of store, I realize Dan is no longer with me. Then, from behind me I hear his voice, "No, ma'am, I don't think you would find it in the sports section. This book isn't about sports. It's about, well, you know? Well, it's about relations. It's about this guy and his wife who have relations for 101 days." I couldn't even turn around. The woman was totally caught off guard, "Relations?" she asks. "Yeah, you know, relations." I turn around to see Dan giving her the eyebrows (thankfully he skipped the very mature gyrating hips). You may have needed to be there, you definitely have to know Dan, but from my perspective this was very funny. It made my night.

We came home empty handed, but very relaxed, thankful to live in this beautiful place, and so grateful to have found each other all those years ago!